We've Moved- Please Come See Us

Check out the new home for New Hampshire Watchdog:

NewHampshireWatchdog.org

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Donna Sytek- For mature audiences only

My mentor, role model, and NH Watchdog reader Donna Sytek has an interesting piece in the Sunday Monitor on older computer users tackling social networking tools:

While I am pretty good at e-mail and maintained a blog on CarePages.com during a recent bout with cancer, I have never sent or received a text message. Call me old-fashioned, but I hate the abbreviated language kids use on their cell phones. I also am not ready to use "text" as a verb.

A few months ago, at the urging of a media trainer and with encouragement from a middle-aged friend, I dipped my toe into the social networking waters and opened a Facebook account. The only advice I received was a warning that reading all the posts might become addictive and time-consuming.

So far I haven't fallen into that trap, but there are a few things I have learned along the way that I wish I had known at the start. For the benefit of my contemporaries who are ready to sign up, I offer these tips for "mature" beginners:

Plus, she plugged our NH Watchdog Group on Facebook. As the bloggers say, read the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment